A metaphor is a figure of speech in which we compare two or more unlike things that have some resemblance in common.
When I say “Life is a journey”, there’s something in common between the journey with its moments of success/failure and life with its ups/downs challenges.
I want to show you some examples:
– I’m a little cloudy right now. Can you remind me later, please ? (cloudy here means confused or puzzled)
– It has been forever since we’ve talked. (forever here refers to the meaning of a long time. People use other expressions like that. for example : That was a million years ago)
– We have reached a crossroads. (reaching a crossroads describe the time when you have to decide. And we say a crossroads with s and its plural is just the same)
– I struggle to hide my feeling. (It’s clear that struggle has the same meaning as fight in this sentence)
– I had a stormy relationship with Sofia. (with a lot of arguing)