When was the last time you made an excuse about something? What excuse did you use? Did the other person believe you? What are some of the worst/ funniest excuses you’ve ever heard? Who was using them? Why?
– I wish I could, but I had to finish my homework.
– Sorry, I can’t afford the prices in a fancy restaurant like this.
– I missed the bus.
Being honest when making excuses
– I couldn’t be bothered.
– I didn’t feel like it.
– I wasn’t in the mood.
– I got bored.
– I wasn’t sure what to do.
– I couldn’t find the right address.
Blaming other people
– I thought you were going to do it.
– You said that you’d do it.
– I had to take my grandma to hospital.
– Samuel told me that we didn’t need to do it.
– Sorry, I couldn’t make it. The traffic was so heavy.
– The bus broke down.
– The printer ran out of ink.
– The computer crashed.
– The internet wasn’t working.
– I couldn’t get a connection.
Blaming the weather
– It was too cold.
– It was too hot.
– The weather was bad, and it caused road chaos.
– I didn’t have the time.
– I was too busy.
– I had too much on.
– I ran out of time.
– I wish I could, but I’m going out of town and it’s already too late.
– Please serve yourself. I’m on a diet and I’m not supposed to eat hot dogs.
– I really want to help you out there but my doctor told me not to do any physical work.
– You know I can’t help you I’m on medication.
– I need to get some rest.
– I woke up feeling really bad.
Making excuses for someone
– He’s tired.
– She isn’t usually like that.
– She’s just going through a bad patch.
– He’s usually quite nice.
– They had too much to do.